In Everything Give Thanks!
Thanksgiving is a wonderful time for reflecting on the Lord's goodness to us over the past year. His gift of goodness does not always come to us wrapped in the most obvious of packages. It does not always come painted with colorful flowers and glowing sunshine. Rather, we may find that we have to peer through the dark clouds and stormy skies to discover His goodness, love, and care for us. And yet, isn't it interesting how often it is in those times of distress and trial that we find the Lord to be so near. Let me offer some reasons for thanks to the Lord pertaining to Hurricane Sandy (without even attempting to mention the many other matters for thanks!)
- He preserved the OPC with no loss of life
- He united two congregations as one (Faith Bible Church + Redeemer OPC = Faith Bible OPC in Brick, New Jersey)
- He raised up two diligent and capable servants to serve as site coordinators both in New York and in New Jersey
- He led many to contribute towards the Sandy Response efforts in the amount of $179,000.
- He established a cooperative relationship with the local PCA church in New Jersey for housing and feeding many volunteers
- He raised up hundreds of volunteers (I have lost track!) to give days and weeks of their time and energies!
- He raised up a faithful brother from the RPCNA who contibuted months of ground work in New Jersey
- He enabled all the family units connected with the OPC in New York to be reestablished 1 year later
- He enabled all but 2 family units connected with the OPC in New Jersey to be reestablished 1 year later
- and the list goes on . . .